Oregon Dept. of Forestry firefighters were shaken out of bed around 4:00 a.m. by thunderclaps across the mountains of Josephine County. A reconnaissance flight took off from Medford Airport shortly after dawn, and firefighters and helicopters are shuttling from ODF’s Medford Unit to the Grants Pass Unit.
Quite a few smokes have been reported:
- Two fires in the Mooney Mtn. area. The largest fire is estimated at 3 acres;
- Two fires in the Wolf Creek area;
- One 3-acre fire in the Shan Creek area;
- Additional smokes have been reported in the Lower Graves Creek and Hog Creek areas;
- Several smokes are dotted along the border between Josephine County and Douglas County.