Extremely dry forests and a recent outbreak of forest fires in southwest Oregon forestlands is driving the Industrial Fire Precaution Level (IFPL) up tomorrow. Restrictions under IFPL III (three) take effect at 12:01 a.m. Friday, Aug. 2, and apply to state, private, county, Bureau of Land Management and Rogue Ricer-Siskiyou National Forest forestlands in Jackson and Josephine counties.
The IFPL III restrictions apply to all contractors and permit holders, including those with permits to cut firewood for personal use.
- Cable yarding is not allowed. However, gravity operated-logging systems employing non-motorized carriages may operate until 1:00 p.m. and after 8:00 p.m. These systems must have all blocks and moving lines suspended 10 feet above the ground, except the line between the carriage and the chokers.
- Power saw use is not allowed. However, power saws may be used until 1:00 p.m. and after 8:00 p.m. at loading sites and on tractor or skidder operations.
- In addition, the following equipment and operations must shut down between 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.:
- Tractor/skidder, feller-buncher, forwarder, or shovel logging operations where tractors, skidders or other equipment with a blade capable of constructing fireline are immediately available to quickly reach and effectively attack a fire start.
- Mechanized loading or hauling of any product or material
- Welding or cutting of metal
- Any spark-emitting not specifically mentioned above
For more information about the Oregon Department of Forestry’s fire season regulations, contact the unit office in your area:
For current information on IFPL levels, visit the Medford Interagency Communications Center website at ormic.org/fire_danger.shtml.
Please contact your local ranger district office for more information and maps prior to travel on National Forest Lands:
Supervisor’s Office, Medford, (541) 618-2200
Gold Beach Ranger District, (541) 247-3600
High Cascades Ranger District
- Prospect, (541) 560-3400
- Butte Falls, (541) 865-2700
Powers Ranger District, (541) 439-6200
Siskiyou Mountains Ranger District
Star, (541) 899-3800
Ashland, (541) 552-2900
Wild Rivers Ranger District
Grants Pass, (541) 471-6500
Cave Junction, (541) 592-4000
Rogue River-Siskiyou National Forest fire prevention regulations are posted online at www.fs.usda.gov/rogue-siskiyou.