Industrial operations on Oregon Department of Forestry-protected lands in Jackson and Josephine counties will be required to follow stricter fire prevention regulations starting at 12:01 a.m. on Thursday, August 18. Industrial Fire Precaution Level 3 (three) requires logging, road building and other operations in forests and wildland areas to shut down most equipment by 1:00 p.m.
These measures are necessary to prevent wildfires as much of the southwest portion of the state is in a period of hot weather, dry afternoon winds and low humidity.
The public regulated use fire danger level climbed to “Extreme” (red) on Monday and will remain at that level for the foreseeable future.
Under Industrial Fire Precaution Level 3, the following fire prevention regulations take effect on Thursday:
- Cable yarding will not be allowed. However, gravity operated-logging systems employing non-motorized carriages may operate until 1:00 p.m. and after 8:00 p.m. These systems must have all blocks and moving lines suspended 10 feet above the ground, except the line between the carriage and the chokers;
- Power saw use will not be allowed. However, power saws may be used until 1:00 p.m. and after 8:00 p.m. at loading sites and on tractor or skidder operations;
- In addition, the following equipment and operations must shut down between 1:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.:
- Tractor/skidder, feller-buncher, forwarder, or shovel logging operations where tractors, skidders or other equipment with a blade capable of constructing fireline are immediately available to quickly reach and effectively attack a fire start;
- Mechanized loading or hauling of any product or material;
- Welding or cutting of metal;
- Any spark-emitting activity not specifically mentioned above.
The following IFPL regulations are currently in effect and will remain in effect:
- The use of fire in any form is prohibited;
- Commercial operations must have fire suppression equipment on the job site;
- Watchman service must be provided.
For more information about the Oregon Department of Forestry’s fire season regulations, contact the unit office in your area:
- Medford Unit, 5286 Table Rock Rd., Central Point. Phone: (541) 664-3328
- Grants Pass Unit, 5375 Monument Drive, Grants Pass. Phone: (541) 474-3152